The Epistle of James
1. Why did James’ audience need reflective wisdom? List the trials, temptations, and tests that both poor and wealthy believers faced in James’ day.
2. In James 1:3-4, James described the insights he wanted his audience to embrace. Using this passage, explain how the testing of faith leads to maturity.
3. How does asking God for wisdom require us to have faith?
4. In order to explain the need for practical wisdom, James contrasted “earthly wisdom” with “heavenly wisdom.” Describe both types of wisdom and the outcomes of each.
5. Much of James’ practical guidance focused on obeying God’s law. Explain how the law of God is the standard of practical wisdom and how it brings freedom to all who sincerely seek to obey all of its royal precepts.
6. James’s perspective on faith and works has caused some controversy. Describe James’ teaching on faith and works. How do we know that James did not contradict Paul’s teaching on justification?